Thursday, December 20, 2007

Finals

I am now officially done with finals, after finishing my last one a few hours ago. Its quite a relief, except for the fact that my grade gauge has been broken since I arrived, in better terms, I have zero idea of how I did in any of my spanish classes. The only grade I recieved I passed, but the remaining three I have recieved zero papers back, zero tests, or any indication that I will not have to retake my finals in the spring. It´s not a feeling I would like to grow accustomed to. Speaking of finals though, there is only one class that deserves a post; yet again my political theory class.

This is the class where I had to write the paper I´ve mentioned a few times. I gave it to my professor two days before I had to meet with him so he could read it over. I lied, I got some feedback on this paper. He was quite impressed with my construction. Since he obviously was not refering to my grammar, I concluded that liked the manner in which I constructed my arguement. After we talked about my paper we then proceeded to do my oral exam on the 750 page book I was required to read. Luckily, I read it. He tested me, and though I knew all the answers, expressing that to him was at times a challenge, but he clearly understood I read the book, thank goodness. I thought that I was off the hook, he let me believe that until we got to class. He then asked me to give my presention on my paper, which I knew I was going to have to do. I wrapped that up in about 10 minutes, when he proceeded to then ask me to give these graduate students a lesson on writing an argumenative paper. He then pulled up me paper on the overhead and made me explain to the class that yes, you actually have to devise your own argument and prove it with others theories. Apparently this is a new research method to these students, as plagarism and regurgitation are normal means of filling words on papers. Finally I was taken off the stand only with enough time for me to get to my seat before he realized "musclos, you are leaving before our debate next month. You need to participate in a debate before you leave". I quickly tried getting out of it, to no avail. He declared that it would be me vs the class, as I was the only one going to be graded. I am literally terrified at this point. How about we talk about, arms control in the US. How about NOT.

I knew that he was choosing this topic in light of recent events that have happened back home. However, I quickly figured out that my classmates, thank goodness, were not aware of these incidents, and the most recent trama they could recall was VT shootings. I wasn´t quite comfortable with talking about the arms control policy, but my job was to defend it, as I was being attacked left and right against it. Though I came up with a few valid arguments, I still pretty uneasy with the topic, simply because I haven´t solidifed my own feelings towards them. Being an American makes Europeans assume that I know quite a bit about our death penalty and arms policy--neither subject am I well versed on, but will look into upon arriving back home. Those are two things that America is known for, that and our lack of healthcare. Those are the topcis I am most frequently asked about as an American, nothing about Bush nor Iraq.

Being here however has made me realize things I really don´t know about home. I´ve learned quite a bit about home from being here, because people ask me questions I simlpy don´t know about America, and am frusterated enough to look them up. Its an uncanny feeling, but I like it at times, as not many people back home would press me for my American prespective. I only have three more days to take advantage of being a foreigner, so out into the streets I´ll go for my final few days.

No comments: