Thursday, September 6, 2007

Los Americanos

I found the Americans. Up until today, there were only two other Americans on campus, all the other students are from various countries throughout Europe. This is because like me, most of the students from Europe will be taking their classes with the Spaniards. All the other colleges from America, are in the immersion program, which means that though they take their classes in Spanish, it is a lot more constructive to the language. The teachers know that the students are learning Spanish, and thus will include grammar lessons amidst the information at hand.

I found the American students, because Richmond offers a program that allows us to take one course with them, and go on excursions as well. It´s not a bad deal at all. Today we went to the coastal regional of Spain, to learn a bit about the fishing villages. However, it essentially turned into us mingling with the Spaniards on the beach, rather than actually undergoing the tour. I did learn something quite interesting though. During the 19th century, when the fishing boats would be gone for long periods of time, the fisherman would paint their boats with certain symbols, and then have the same symbol painted on their doors at home. I was a bit lost at this point in the conversation, but I believe that the symbols were much like family crests.

I was quite pleased with the beach. As I am not a huge fan of swimming, I had no real intention of actually entering the water. No one did, as we didn´t have the time, or the proper attire. The water itself looked just as I envision the Mediterranean--a greenish tint, very clear, very calm. I wish that I had better pictures, but it was extermely bright out and the sun had a rather strong glare.

I am continuing to enjoy myself, though still adjusting a bit to city life. The bus system remains to be a mystery to me, as I there are four different companies, and over 200 buses total. I know that I have to not only change buses, but companies as well. Since I have decided that it is near impossible for me to get lost on foot, as this city has such great landmarks, that I can either walk or use the metro no matter where I go. However, I am saying that in September when the weather is still fabulous. Through necessity I suppose that I will resort to the buses as opposed to freezing trekking home after going out at night.

I am now off to preform my daily immersion ritual--reading the newspaper. Great way to learn the language, and know what is going on in the country. Life is good.

No comments: