Sunday, September 16, 2007

Northern Spain

The dogs are everywhere. Dogs in the park. Dogs in the street. Dogs in the School. Dogs in the bars. Yet, they are silent! The dogs here must be mute, because honestly, I have yet to hear more than one or two of them bark since I have been here. It is quite different. Most often they are leash-less. I have decided that if I ever want a dog, I may consider getting a trained one from Spain.

On a more relevant matter, today was the warmest day since I arrived in Spain. Since we already had plans to go to the northern shore of Spain, it worked out quite nicely. The water was cold, however, I braved it, and played in the waves after running on the beach. Really it was quite delightful. Then we were toured around the city by Richmond students who are studying there. Along our tour I was introduced to gelato. Horrendous idea. It was amazing. A bad thing to find out so early along in my trip, as I will now know how good it is when I pass it daily going to school. San Sebastian itself was splendid however. It has a much more Spanish atmosphere than Bilbao, perhaps because it is a quainter city. It had the traditional shops and outdoor cafes, fantastic architecture, and markets.

I will actually be quite busy for the next few weekends, as I have a few trips on my agenda. Madrid and Toledo being this upcoming weekend. This week will be my last week of my Spanish class, which has progressively been useful. I was joking with my teacher that I am better versed in caring out a conversation on immigration or culture than I am ordering food at a restaurant in Spanish. She laughed, agreeably however. Fantastic.

No comments: